Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Awakening

How is it...for so long that I knew my passions, my hopes, and my dreams, I never really completely chased them? How is it that all along, the passion that I ran away from, in hopes that the deep burning desire to fulfill it will go away, actually came back to me a hundred times harder? It's like a thought you have and try to supress to make it go away, but it never actually goes away, but this time it's a life decision that you avoid trying to make, until it come's back and "bites you in the butt".

This is how I feel with psychology, art, and counseling psych. Three themes in my life that have been going around and around in circles, and making me aware of them so much to the point that I cannot understand. I have always had a deep love for art since I was a child. From knitting, to drawing, to crocheting, to arts and crafts, to etc. It's been a hobby and something I've loved to do since I was a child. But....(there's always a 'but')

But I didn't pursue that passion because all my life I was told that if I go into a field like art, I will not make any money. My family's focus was money, money, money. And although, I agree money does help you survive, but money doesn't conquer all. Love does. Passion does. Passion and love together bring more loads of happiness and drive than money can ever bring. So why didn't I pursue this passion if I knew all this?

I don't know really. Recently, I watched a video (referred by my boyfriend), about a "rat race" we're all in.  And about how all of us are trying to have this "american dream" and basically what it is making us become robots. It's telling us to be in the system of things such as going to school, getting a job, getting life insurance, having kids, and working till we retire. That is the 'system' that we all are following. Many of us don't ever tend to follow our own dreams because we are so involved with the dream of society, the dream that wasn't made from our hearts. How often do we ever follow our own dreams, passions, loves, or undying drives in life?

After watching this video I was more than ready to search more for what I really wanted to do. I hated looking for jobs and felt so overwhelmingly sad and depressed because I was out of school. I felt like I had no life. I didn't do anything really feeling productive. I felt like a ' couch potato'. My question to myself was, ' why am I looking for a job when my heart really isn't?' and 'would it really be this hard to find a job or even get myself to apply to just ONE job if I was really passionate in finding one?' The answer to me was apparent when I realized I wasn't ready to find a real life job. I was so interested in learning more about my field that I wasn't ready to become 'a rat running after it's cheese' so to speak.

So I'm at this stage now where I started researching graduate schools and figuring out my passion. Today I went to an open house for Adler University. I found a few programs that really interested me. I came into the open house with no idea how I would decide which program truly intrigued me because I had so many that caught my attention. I went to a few tables and really found out what had been a good fit for me, one that had a piece of me that I was missing from my life equation all along. One that incorporated Art and that was the Masters of Arts in Counseling Psychology: Art Therapy. It kind of touched my heart, like it felt like a rock had hit my chest when I was thinking about this program. This deep down passion that I had missed for so long. I couldn't believe my ears and eyes how there was a program that had both the things I loved in it.

I remembered how I did so well in the art classes I took in my undergraduate career and how it didn't feel like a class to me when I did art, it felt more like a hobby, a part of me that was dying of thirst and hunger, that I had not actually fed in a while. I really want to seek out this craving, this obsession for art and therapy and find a happy medium for both my fascinations.  I don't know if this the right program for me yet, but I do know that this was a great awakening for me today. I cannot wait to see what's more to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment