Monday, April 1, 2013

The life of an Indian...the life of an Indian tourist...the life of an American-Indian

(written in January 2013, posted March 2013)

Currently in a cybercafe, listening to Azhan that goes on 5 times a day here. For those of you who don't know what this is, Azhan is a Muslim call to prayer. There is a person chosen primarily to do a special prayer at the tower dome of a mosque in every city. It is for Sunni Muslims. It is a very different culture I'm getting use to over here.

The first few weeks, I was phasing culture shock I believe. It wasn't as bad as it would be if I were here alone, but it was pretty bad. I hated it here for the first week especially. Loud honking of taxis, rickshaws, and every motor vehicle they use here, even motorcycles....they all honk here for no reason it seemed, and its SUPER loud.

Also, the pollution was horrible...the gas expelled from the cars seems stronger here and since the population is so high, you really smell and take in every breath of gasoline while you're on the road to your next destination. Traffic was so bad here that I thought I was going to die a couple of times (not literally haha). In the city, the congestion of people seemed unbearable...nearly saw my life flash before my eyes a couple of times in a taxi. I'm surprised I haven't seen any motor vehicle accidents yet. People don't even ride in lanes, they just pack their cars one behind the other, like an unorganized jigsaw puzzle.

I remember once, there were 5 people all in the intersection to go 5 different ways..a motorcyclist, a rickshaw, a taxi, a couple of pedestrians and my mom and me in another taxi were all trying to move our way to the opposite side of the road...it seemed like a race...similar to Hunger games haha...like we all would fight till the end, everyone for themselves. Luckily, we made it through this traffic circle safely...it was horrifying..

Now, I'm not as tense and irritated and scared of India, as it is more peaceful to me...I have grown accustomed to the endless honking...and take each thing as it comes...nevertheless India has not once been boring...always something new I see each day..whether its a wagon being pulled by cows or a lady sleeping on the street with her baby...India is teaching me a lot. I'm thankful I got to come here again, at an older age...because there is so much here that I hardly could comprehend it at age 12...at age 22, as a young woman, I see things that are opening my eyes to a new world. Whether they bring tears to my eyes  or teach me something new...I am growing here.

This world is completely different...incomparable to any other country...slightly similar to Europe at times...but still highly incomparable.There has been things I have witnessed that are shocking to my own eyes....and probably wouldn't have chosen to see...but this is the life here...sometimes sad and sometimes happy. Those fortunate of leading happy lives are lucky. On the other hand,  it is very sad to see those leading unhappy impoverished lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment